Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Outdoor Retailer Show: Overall Impression

Overall Impression – for the most part I think it was a huge success.  I enjoyed the brands that I saw and the products for the most part were good and creative.  The one thing that was resonating was the “Green” overtones to everything.  I saw so many “renewable”, “recycled”, “Earth conscious”, “green” tags in booths that I really wanted to burn a couple barrels of oil just to off set it all.  Don’t get me wrong, I think we need to take care of the place but I’m completely burnt out on this marketing ploy.  It is exhausting to have to read it all the time.  Prana, Purr and others are just examples of this, even the Merino folks at Icebreaker and Ibex were touting their “renewable” resource.  Thanks but be more creative.  There were so many different kinds of brands starting with the legacy brands like Woolrich while moving to creative products like avalanche air bags (ABS).  I loved the one off companies that were selling frisbees, dog leashes, and other stuff that really didn't matter.  One big hit was the Slack Line booth, music and muchachos doing flips always attracts people.  The big brands were there and in full effect.  I'll write about them individually.  I even got to hang with Glenn Plake... well, he was walking around and had everyone gawking at the 2 ft Mohawk he was sporting.  Honestly, I shouldn't feel like I'm bugging him if he's gonna wear it he's gonna get attention.  But all in all great show and it introduced me to some new great brands. 

No comments: